About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Recipes for the feeding of a starving artist - Mango Chicken with Jasmine Rice

All that painting makes an artist hungry and since I like to cook, its a perfect combination.
As I've said before, one of my favorite combinations is chicken and fruit and one of my favorite fruits is mango. My local super market sells containers of mango spears and I cut them up for my cereal in the morning, and you've seen my salmon and mango sauce recipe in a previous post. Here are two recipes that will show you how well they go together. Enjoy! One additional thought - if you have a grill feature on your stove, try grilling mango slices as a special add-on to your dish.

Quote: "The preparation of good food is merely another expression of art, one of the joys of civilized living"
Dione Lucas


Mango Chicken with Jasmine Rice
Ingredients
2 tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 chicken breasts sliced
4 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon chicken base
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 ripe mangos, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons sherry
cornstarch for thickening if necessary
Directions
Heat wok and add oil. Add ginger and cinnamon and saute for 30 seconds. Add chicken and green onions and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chicken base, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for approx 15 minutes. Add mangos and sherry and simmer uncovered until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add cornstarch mixed with a litter water to thicken if necessary. Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions.
Recipe serves four



Mango-Mustard Glazed Chicken

Recipe courtesy of Mango Inn, Lake Worth, FL

Mango-Mustard Glazed Chicken
Make 6 servings

1 cup chopped peeled mango
1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup apricot or peach preserves
½ cup dry white wine
1 ½ tablespoons stone-ground mustard
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Cooking spray

Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.

Add mango mixture; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment