About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recipes for the feeding of a starving artist - Pan Seared Salmon With Crab Crust and Mango-Dijon Sauce

This is an occasional post of recipes I'm made or find interesting and want to make. I love to cook and this is a favorite recipe that I've made a number of times. I vary it by using either individual fillets or a whole fillet. If its the whole fillet, I just put the crab on and cook it. I've cooked it over a bed of asparagus or spinach casserole. I made this last night for some my friend Paul Ingis and his family who have a Square Dancing class in their home for their home-school association (Home School Hoedowners). We do dinners occasionally (last one was New Years Day 2007 - I made a wild mushroom bread pudding). Paul is not a salmon fan, but loved this. Check out the pictures and enjoy the recipe.


Before the Oven


After the oven

On the table

On the plate


Pan Seared Salmon With Crab Crust and Mango-Dijon Sauce
Chef Larry's Recipe
Ingredients
4 fresh salmon fillets,
6 ounce portions
1/4 cup Seasoned flour (all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper)
1 T. Cooking oil
16 - 20 Whole chives
1 tsp. Chopped parsley
For the crab crust
1 tsp. Butter
1/3 cup Celery
1/3 cup Red bell pepper, fine diced
1/3 cup Green bell pepper, fine diced
1 tsp. Chives, minced
1 tsp. Parsley, chopped
1/2 cup Dungeness crabmeat, drained well
1/2 cup Snow crabmeat, drained well
1 T. Mayonnaise
3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Mango Dijon Sauce (recipe follows)
Method
Prepare Mango Dijon Sauce, reserve.
Prepare crab crust by melting butter in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add celery and peppers. Saute until tender, remove and cool. Transfer cooled mixture to a mixing bowl. Add crabmeat, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, chives and parsley, mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Heat cooking oil in a saute pan or skillet. Lightly dredge salmon fillet
s in seasoned flour. Carefully sear salmon in hot oil on both sides. Remove and cool. Place cooled salmon fillets in a baking dish and top with crabmeat mixture. Spoon hollandaise sauce over each portion and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove crab crusted salmon from oven.
Makes 4 servings
Mango Dijon Sauce
Ingredients
1 tsp. Butter
1 tsp. Shallots, minced
1/4 cup Dry white wine
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Mango, peeled and diced
1 cup Chicken stock
1/2 cup Heavy cream
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Method Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and saut? until translucent. Add white wine, bring to a boil. Simmer until 1/2 of the liquid is evaporated. Add Dijon mustard, mango and chicken stock bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
Carefully puree with an immersion blender or regular bar blender until smooth. Return to saucepan and incorporate cream. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment