About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Sunday, March 6, 2011

An artist has got to eat! - Spinach Salad Flambe - the recipe

Last post was about the spinach salad flambe from the flambe class my friend Hannah went to in Bozeman. I search the store's site for the recipe and it was not there, so I posted what I could find on the 'net. Hannah was kind enough to send me the actual recipe from that class, so here it is. Mange! Looks yummy!

Spinach Salad Flambe Olivelle
8 cup fresh spinach leaves
4 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
3/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1 lb bacon, diced small
2 shallots, sliced thin
2 tomatoes, diced small (or cherry toms cut in 1/2)
fresh ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 TB "series 7" Balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup caramelized garlic olive oil
1/2 cup brandy OR bourbon (80 proof)
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts

arrange spinach on a plattter
top with goat cheese and sliced eggs
set aside until dressing is ready

in a saute pan, cook the bacon until crispy
add shallots, tomatoes, salt and pepper
cook until shallots are translucent
add balsamic vinegar and allow to reduce
add the olive oil and heat through

in a separate pan heat the brandy until small bubbles start to form around the outside
light the liquor on fire and pour into the hot dressing
while still lit, pour the dressing over the salad
sprinkle on the pine nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment