About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My church's ( First Baptist Hackensack ) Summer Art Gallery

This is a bit of a long one, so get a cup of coffee and a pastry and sit down and enjoy!

My church, First Baptist Hackensack, has a lot of talented people in the visual; arts, but their identity and work is not generally known in the congregation. They know I paint and several people are photographers but have not seen our product. The church's school - Hackensack Christian School - has an art class and the students display the entire school year. With school out for the summer and the board in entrance hallway to Leach Memorial Hall (also know as the gym) was available. So after speaking with the pastor and a few others, I instituted the First Baptist Hackensack Summer Art Gallery.  The church secretary Erin Cahilly assisted me in this endevour!
The idea is to have 2 or 3 artists displaying their work for 2 - 3 weeks, depending on interest, up thru the end of August. I talked to a couple of the photographers and they showed some interest. I had it announced in the bulletin (which goes out on Twitter also)  and on the church's FB page. I also gave a "Gallery Opening" statement in front of the church as follows -

Announcing the opening of the FBH Summer Art Gallery in the Leach memorial Hallway and you are invited to participate. HCS's art students have been displaying all year, but guess what? They are gone and its our turn to play  If you have talent for art and would like to see it displayed, please see me for details. We will be changing exhibits once every couple of weeks with 2 or 3 artist’s works at a time, depending on interest. This is open to young and old at any level. All the visual arts are wanted: photography, graphics, calligraphy and even finger painting There will be a signup sheet by the library and see Jack McKenzie. You must figure out how to hang your work and please post some short artist statement page with it.
We each have been gifted by God in some way. As a member of the body of Christ we each must use our gifts to help each other live the Christian life. Using that gift for the benefit of others can be considered an act of worship. The visual arts require us to slow down from our hectic pace and find enjoyment and rest in what we see.. Dont be like the man who ran into the Louvre and shouted, "Quick! Where's the Mona Lisa? I'm double parked!" Slow down and enjoy!
Opening exhibitor is Jack Mckenzie and Walter Gleeman!

Heres pictures of the two exhibitor's work. First me!
and here's Walter Gleeman's work


No comments:

Post a Comment