About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Interesting poem - Have a ____ Day by Lou Lipsitz from Writers Almanac

I know, I know, this is supposed to be about my art, but sometimes I gotta post something that I find interesting and this poem is one of them. I will someday post some Christian material but not now, later.
I heard this poem while listening to the podcast of Garrison Keillor's Writers Almanac. First, if you don't know who he is, Google and find out. He's worth your time.
His Writers Almanac is a daily thing talking about birthdays and deaths of significant artists and other things and usually a poem. Here's the podcast site

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/podcast/

The poem in question is an odd little piece Entitled "Have a ____ day" by Lou lipsiz. It starts with "Have a nice day" and then goes into many variations, both bad and good, of that phase. A sample:

Have a ____ Day
by Lou Lipsitz
Have a nice day. Have a memorable day.
Have (however unlikely) a life-changing day.
Have a day of soaking rain and lightning.
Have a confused day thinking about fate.

Have a day of wholes.
Have a day of poorly marked,
unrecognizable wholes you
cannot fathom.
Have a ferocious day, a bleak
unbearable day. Have a
riotously unproductive day;
a grim jaw-clenched, Clint Eastwood vengeful
law enforcement day.

The rest of the poem can be found here

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011%2F07%2F05


Enjoy

quote:
* Rembrandt van Rijn -
+ Practise what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment