About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May library shows up and running - Franklin Lakes and New Milford

Spent Monday setting up my two art shows for May - Franklin Lakes and New Milford, both in New Jersey. I had originally scheduled for New Milford for May. I had emailed most of the libraries in the BCCLS system and got encouraging responses along with date availability. Franklin Lakes had nothing until 2012, but May was open and the that space would need at least 16 paintings.I considered my inventory and figured two shows were possible, if I borrowed some paintings I'd given to friends for their weddings. I was toying with that idea already. Happily everyone was more that willing to do so. New Milford I have 9 paintings showing. As part of the promotion for this, I placed the exhibits of the local online Patch "newspaper" calenders. .

http://franklinlakes.patch.com/events/the-art-of-jack-mckenzie-at-franklin-lakes

http://newmilford-nj.patch.com/events/the-art-of-jack-mckenzie-at-new-milford

I am in the midst of several more paintings, so once I complete those, I will add on to the exhibitions.
The encouragement I got was very good. Everyone was willing to help me, especially the Steiners. Lisa has her own business and we talked marketing and all sorts of ideas. They said if someone expressed interest in buying it to do so. She even suggested a variation on the "do a painting of someone's house" idea. I should offer to do a painting of their vacation or Jersey Shore homes. I have a few picture of their place near Sandy Hook, so I will eventually work on that.
I will be posting pictures soon of the two shows, especially the reception at Franklin Lakes on Saturday
I want to thank Bob & Ellie Zuber, Don & Laura Smith, Paul & Lisa Steiner and Tom & Denise Frawley for lending me their paintings.

I am following my friend & fellow artist Denise's photography exhibits into Franklin Lakes, who exhibited there in April . She is in Bergenfield this month. She has a cool idea for the exhibits, each one focusing on a different color. Bergenfield is "A Study in Orange". I saw the pictures when I went there to pick up the painting. Rally good!

1 comment:

  1. good idea about the patch. I didn't know you could post your own event, I will do that with my bergenfield display. Sorry you won't be able to make it to my recption (on the 21st), but glad you got to see some of them at my apt!!

    ReplyDelete