About Me

My photo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
No, this in not a blog about gardening in any way, but a journal of my journey to become a professional landscape painting artist. For years, I’ve given my paintings as wedding gifts without thinking of profiting in some way from it. I worked for 18 years at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC as a computer programmer. I have been a painter since 1990, coincidentally, when I started working at the Met. I watched Bob Ross do his thing on Channel 13 in New York and decided I could do this, too. I have no formal training. I incorporate Bob's wet-on-wet technique for sky and water. My subject matter is covered bridges, lighthouses, fishing village scenes, barns, etc. Maine, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Nova Scotia and Spain are some of the places I have painted. My style is detailed and sometimes people think a photo of the painting is an actual photo of the scene. I hope to continue and grow in this medium. I also like to cook & dance. I am also a committed Christian. I am taking commissions - painting your landscapes style photos or your vacation home. Prices on request. contact me - Jackmck@juno.com my website is www.artofjackmckenzie.com

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Art of the NYC Subways - 30th anniversary of the Art &Design program

Being a resident of Northern NJ, I get into New York City a lot and ride the subways many times. Music abounds on the platforms as musicians try and raise their personal fortune and occasionally on the cars themselves between stop.
The visual arts abound on the NYC subway platforms. The 81st street stop for the Museum of Natural  look like representation of the museum with mosaics and bas relief sculptures of dinosaurs and insects and other things. The walkway tunnel between Times Square and the PA Bus Terminal have sculpture dioramas in the walls.
All this to say this is the 30th anniversary of the NYC Subway's Art and Design program. There are hundreds of various kinds of art works all thru the system and they have published a book called . New York’s Underground Art Museum: MTA Arts & Design with 300 pictures o various art installations in the subways. Mashable has posted an entry about this this along with 12 selections of whats there. Enjoy! And go art hunting on the subway!

No comments:

Post a Comment